Website Midlands State University
*NB: Midlands State University is an equal opportunities employer. In the interest of promoting gender parity, female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the following post of TRANSPORT AND LOGISTICS SUPERVISOR
The incumbent reports to the Deputy Director of Projects and Maintenance and will be responsible for execution, direction and coordination of all transport matters of the University. The job also entails managing budgets, organizing schedules and routes, ensuring that vehicles are safe and meet legal requirements and ensuring that drivers perform their duties as expected. The logistics part involves purchasing and supply management duties, materials and inventory management and customer care, inter alia.
Midlands State University employs a multi-campus system.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 ‘O’ Levels including English and Mathematics;
- Higher National Diploma in Transport and Logistics Management or equivalent
- A clean Class 1 drivers licence is a must;
- Valid Defensive driving licence is a must;
- Knowledge of Vehicle Monitoring System packages;
- A qualification in motor mechanics or vehicle maintenance will be an added advantage
- Having been a private or public sector driver for at least 3 years with a clean driving record;
- At least 3 years hands on experience in a management or supervisory position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing, supervising, monitoring and directing fleet operations of the University;
- Ensuring that the Section has a sound transport management policies, systems and standard operating procedures (SOPs). These should be reviewed from time to time for compliance purposes;
- Monitoring of the fleet using a Vehicle Tracking System;
- Responsible for all aspects of fuel management;
- Ensuring that each vehicle has a Log Book which is properly used by drivers and checked on a weekly basis by the Deputy Director of Maintenance;
- Managing and supervising all staff under the Transport Section;
- Conducting random inspection of vehicles and generators;
- Planning and scheduling trips to service departmental requests and allocating pool vehicles accordingly on a daily basis;
- Organising and scheduling fleet vehicle and generators maintenance
- Applying for route authorities from Ministry of Transport, Communication and Infrastructure Development;
- Spearheading the purchase of vehicle spares, fuel and lubricants;
- Ensuring that vehicle repairs, maintenance and fuel records are produced and kept up to date;
- Licensing of all University vehicles;
- Producing weekly and monthly fuel, vehicle and generator reports for submission to the Deputy Director of Maintenance;
- Providing monthly vehicle maintenance cost report to the Deputy Director of Maintenance;
- Overseeing preparation of insurance claims for repair of accident damaged University vehicles;
- Insuring renewal of certificates of fitness for University vehicles;
- Ensuring that proper documentation is done when allocating issue vehicles to University Officers;
- Supervising and checking of all University vehicles’ roadworthiness on a regular or daily basis and especially before going on a long journey;
- Ensuring that vehicles are checked and tested whenever they come back from repairs or service;
- Carrying out any other duty as directed by the Director of Projects and Maintenance and the Deputy.
All applications will be treated in strictest confidence. Six copies of applications including a curriculum vitae, giving full personal particulars indicating full name, place and date of birth, certified copies of national identification, birth certificate, proof of qualifications, employment and experience, telephone number and names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar, Human Resources
Midlands State University
P Bag 9055
The closing date of receipt of applications is 15 July 2020.