Prof Advice Viriri (PhD)
Position: Campus Director- Zvishavane CampusShare Profile Search on Google Scholar
- BA Gen, BA 4th Year Sp. Hons,
- Grad CE(UZ),
- Cert in Journalism (SA),
- D Litt et Phil (UNISA)].
Film and Theatre Arts and African literature, especially, Zimbabwean literature by revealing how Pungwe, an oral institution, finds permanent residence in the narrative interstices of both the Shona and English novels.
List of Publications :
2012. Bhebe, N. M. & Viriri, A. Shona Proverbs: Palm Oil with which African Words are Eaten, Book Love Publishers: Gweru. Isbn= 978-0-79744-825-4. (819 pages).
- Viriri, A. 2015. “Music, politics and cultural revival: The dialogics of songs at biras / galas in post independence Zimbabwe”. In Muwati, I., Charamba, T. & Tembo, C. (Eds). Singing Nation and Politics: Music and the ‘Decade of Crisis’ in Zimbabwe, 2000 -2010.
- Viriri, A. 2015. “Chimurenga War Narratives, Memory, Trauma and the Traditional Psychiatric Healing Methods in Zimbabwe”. In Mashingaidze, T. M. (ed.) Beyond Crises in Zimbabwe: Narratives and Experiences of Everyday Modes of Healing. Harare: Africa Institute for Culture, Peace, Dialogue and Tolerance Studies. Pp
- Viriri, 2014. “Nganonyorwa dzeHondo yeChimurenga muZimbabwe”. In Magwa, W. & Makadho, E. A. (eds.) Uvaranomwe hweVaShona: Bhuku Romudzidzisi rechipiri – Danho re”A”- Level. Gweru: Mambo Press. Issn=978 0 86922 821. Pp 156 – 170.
Articles in Referred Journals
- Viriri, A. 2015. Imagining post-independence Zimbabwe: Political transition and the rhetoric of transformation in the liberation war literature. African Journal of Rhetoric : Transitions and Transformative Rhetoric Vol 7. Issn= 199820454. Pp 158 – 192.
- Viriri, A. 2015. Violence, Conflict Helix and the Reconstruction of Gender Identities: A Chronotopic Imagination in Zimbabwean Liberation-War Novel and Film. Journal of African Security Studies1, No. 2. Issn = 2307-5155X. Pp 18-32.
- Viriri, A. & Nyawo, V. Z. 2015. “Shona Names: Their origins and Import. IGAMA / African Journal of Onomastic Studies, 1 no. 1, Issn =2309-009X. Pp 1 – 20.
- Viriri, A. 2015. Representations of Trauma from Mass Violence during Zimbabwe’s Liberation Struggle in selected Zimbabwean Literature. Journal of African Security Studies 1, No. 2. Issn = 2307-5155X. Pp 52- 70.
- Viriri, Feb 2014. Exploring Figurative Language of Daughtering and Fathering in Albert Nyathi’s Poem My Daughter. In African Journal of Children’s Literature. Vol. 1, No. 1. Issn= 2309-6845. Pp 1- 10.
- Viriri, A. Chimurenga War names as parodic critique of imperialism. A book review of Pfukwa, Charles, 2012. A dictionary of Chimurenga War names. Harare: Africa Institute for Culture, Peace, Dialogue and Tolerance Studies. In UNISA Latin American Report, UNISA Centre for Latin American Studies, Vol. No Issn= 0256- 6060. Pp
- Viriri, A. & Vambe, M. T. 2014. Betwixt and Between: Explorations of Liminality in Zimbabwean War Discourses. In Vambe, M. T. & Nchindila, B. (Eds). UNISA School of Arts Conference Proceedings 2013. Isbn= 978-1-86888-744-6. Pp 222- 239.
- Viriri, A. “African Universities and the challenges of a fragmented linguistic experience: Decontaminating the Zimbabwean colonial past”, African Social Research : Journal of Social Sciences Special Issue No 55 / 56. Issn = 0002- 0168, Pp 23 – 41.
- Viriri, A. & Viriri A. May 2013. Entanglements of Globalisation: Representation of K’NAAN’s Song Waving Flag During FIFA World Cup and The Re-Imag(ni)ng of Africa. Re-Visualising Africa: Journal of African Cinema. Vol 1, No. 1 Issn= 2308-2046. Pp 118 -135.
- Viriri, A. April 2013. Shaping African Identities through Ubuntu Philosophy in Proverbs: Our Daily Bread. Madirativhange : Journal of African Indigenous Languages and Literature. Vol 1, No 1. Issn= 2308-5630. Pp 140- 149.
- Rwafa, U. , Viriri, A. , Vambe, M. T. 2013. Music, land and liberation theology: Exploring the musical oeuvre of Mai Charamba’s Africa and Fungisai Zvakavapano-Mashavave’s Hamheno anoramba? Muziki 10, No. 3. Issn=1812-5980. Pp 24 -32.
- Viriri, A & Makaudze, G. “Prison or Re-colonisation? – An Afrocentric Explanation of the African Hut”, Journal of Zimbabwe Studies: Arts, Humanities & Education, (JZSAHE) Volume 1, No. 1. Issn= 2303-9817. Pp 37 – 47.
- Viriri, 2012. Cultural diversity and the Zimbabwean Pungwe as Carnival Space: A Comparison with the Brazilian Carnivalesque Experience. UNISA Latin American Report, UNISA Centre for Latin American Studies, Vol. 28, No 1. Issn= 0256- 6060. Pp 279- 287.
- Viriri, A & Rwafa, U. The Development nexus and theatre of the youths, by the youths and for the youths in Zimbabwe. Journal of Commonwealth Youth and Development. Vol. 10, No 1. Issn= 1727- 7140. Pp 47- 59.
- Viriri, A. “A critical Socilinguistic & Cultural Exegesis of Shona Bereavement Register in Zimbabwe” In Love, A et-al, eds (2011) Language Contact, Identity and Socio-Economic Mobility, Proceedings of the 10th LASU Conference Roma 25-27 November 2009, Roma: The National University of Lesotho. Issn= 978 99911 67909. Pp 372 – 389.
- Pfukwa, C & Viriri, A. “Wasu to Samaz: Collective identity in Manyika nicknames” In Love, A. Et-al, eds (2011) Language Contact Identity and Socio-Economic Mobility, Proceedings of the 10th LASU Conference Roma 25-27 November 2009, Roma: The National University of Lesotho. Issn- 978 99911 67909. Pp 427- 438.
- Viriri, A. “Performance in folklore and the reclamation of indigenous knowledge systems through oral traditions”, Southern African Journal for folklore Studies, Vol. 21, No 2. Issn =1016-8427, Pp 51-62.
- Viriri, A. , Viriri, A & Chapwanya, C. “The influence of popular music (in particular urban grooves lyrics) on the Zimbabwean youth: the case of the troika; Maskiri, Winky D and Extra Large” Muziki Journal of Music Research in Africa Vol. 8, No. 1. Issn= 1828-5980. Pp 82- 95.
- Viriri, A., Chireshe, E & Makahamadze, T. “Domestic Violence Act and the apartheid of gender’; A critical analysis of the perceptions of Christian women in Masvingo Province of Zimbabwe”, The Dyke: A Journal of Humanities at the Midlands State University, Vol. 5, Issue No. 1, June 2011. Issn= 1815-9036. Pp 22-45.
- Viriri, A. 2010. “Demobilisation, reintegration and transition of Chimurenga War Military personnel to Sustainable peace as portrayed in Zimbabwean Literature”. UNISA Latin American Report, UNISA Centre for Latin American Studies, Vol. 26, No 1. Issn= 0256- 6060, Pp 60- 73.
- Viriri, 2010. Missionary Influence on African Literary Tendencies. UNISA Latin American Report, UNISA Centre for Latin American Studies, Vol. 26, No 1. Issn= 0256- 6060. Pp 4-13.
- Viriri, A & Mungwini, P. “African cosmology and the duality of western hegemony: the search for an African identity”, Journal of Pan African Studies, Vol. 3, No 6. Pp 27-42. co-authored with Dr. P. Mungwini.
- Viriri, A. “Language, voice and literature: expressions of African spiritual experience in Zimbabwe’s Chimurenga War narratives”. IMBIZO: International Journal of African Literary and Comparative Studies. Vol. 1 No. 1 Issn= 2078-9785. Pp 65- 84.
- Viriri, 2009. “The depiction of pungwe meetings (night vigil) as theatre of liberation in selected Zimbabwean War literature”, UNISA Latin American Report, UNISA Centre for Latin American Studies, Vol. 1, No 1. Issn= 0256- 6060, Pp 11-24.
- Viriri, A. Spring 2009. “The paradox of Africa’s poverty: The role of indigenous knowledge systems in Zimbabwe’s environmental management issues”, Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, Volume 10, Number 4, =ISSN: 1520-5509.Pp 129 – 146.
- Viriri, A. June 2009. “Symptoms of post-Chimurenga War traumas: Ex-combatants in post-independence Zimbabwean literature”, The Dyke: A Journal of the Humanities Midlands State University, Volume 3, Issue No. 1, pp 72-90 Issn= 1815- 9036.Pp 83- 105.
- Mungwini, P & Viriri, A. March 2009. “Down but not out”: Critical insights in African traditional Shona metaphysics, Journal of Pan African Studies, Vol. 2, No. 9, Pp 177-196.
- Viriri, A. Book Review: Masango Mavi (1998) by Emmanuel Mudhliwa Chiwome, Mambo Press, Gweru, pp 103, The Dyke Journal of Humanities Vol. 3, No. 2. Issn 086922719X. Pp 86 – 92.
- Viriri, A. 2008. “Language planning in Zimbabwe: The conversation and management of indigenous languages as intangible heritage”,
- Viriri, A. 2004. “The contribution of Missionaries to Shona Lexicography”, Lexicos 14: 2004. Issn = 0 9584120 3 0. Pp 349 -358.
- Viriri, A. “Why so much ado about alternative voices: African performance and the re-enactment of orality before, during and after Zimbabwe’s Chimurenga War”, The Dyke Journal of Humanities, Vol X, No. XX. Issn 086922719X. Being considered for publication.
Suggest a correction
If you'd like to suggest a correction for this profile and you are the owner use the edit button button below. For corrections to another person's profile contact the Webmaster on the email firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext 2132Edit Profile