- PhD Agronomy, University of Pretoria, 2013
- Crop Science (Agronomy), University of Zimbabwe, 2004
- Agriculture Honours (Crop Science), University of Zimbabwe, 2000
- Weed ecology, dynamics and management
- Farming system analysis: optimization and bio-economic models, trade-off analysis, fuzzy cognitive mapping, nutrient, labor and cash flows and household typology development.
- Participatory approaches to research through multi-stakeholder platforms (R4D and Innovation platforms), participatory modeling, on-farm demonstrations and farmer field schools.
- Planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of on-station and on-farm agronomic experiments, trials and demonstrations.
- Multi-disciplinary research approaches including nutrition-sensitiveagriculture, and integrated assessment and agricultural systems modeling approaches
- Justice Nyamangara, Nester Mashingaidze, Esther NyaradzoMasvaya, KudzaiNyengerai, MachiweyiKunzekweguta, Ronald Tirivavi, KizitoMazvimavi. 2014. Weed growth and labour demand under hand-hoe based reduced tillage in smallholder farmers’ fields in Zimbabwe. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 187, 146-156.
- Nyamangara J., Nyengerai K., Masvaya E.N., Tirivavi R., Mashingaidze N., Mupangwa W., Dimes J., Hove L. &Twomlow S. 2014. Effect of conservation agriculture on maize yield in the semi-arid areas of Zimbabwe. Experimental Agriculture 50, 159-177
- Mashingaidze,N., Belder, P., Twomlow, S, Hove, L. and Moyo, M. 2013. Improving maize (Zea mays ) performance in semi-arid Zimbabwe through micro-dosing with Ammonium nitrate tablets. Experimental Agriculture 49,79-196.
- Mashingaidze, N., Madakadze, I.C., Twomlow, S.J., Nyamangara, J. and Hove, L.2012. Crop yield and weed growth under conservation agriculture in semi-arid Zimbabwe. Soil and Tillage Research 124, 102-110.
- Mashingaidze, N., Madakadze, I.C. and Twomlow, S.J. 2012. Response of weed flora to conservation agriculture systems and weeding intensity in semi-arid Zimbabwe. African Journal of Agricultural Research 7(36), 5069 – 5082.
- Mandumbu, R., Twomlow, S.J., Jowah, P., Mashingaidze, N., L. Hove and Karavina, C. 2012. Weed Seed bank response to tillage and residue management in semi-arid Zimbabwe. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection. DOI: 10.1080/03235408.2012.722842I
- Mandumbu R., Twomlow S., Jowa P., Mashingaidze N, Hove L., Karavina C. 2011. Weed seedbank community diversity under tillage and residue levels in a semi-arid region. Journal of Applied Science in Southern Africa 17, 25-39.
- Mashingaidze, N., Twomlow, S and Hove, L. 2009. Crop and weed responses to residue retention and method of weeding in the first two years of a hoe-based minimum tillage system in semi-arid Zimbabwe. Journal of SAT Agricultural Research 7, 1-10.
- Twomlow, S., Rohrbach, D., Dimes, J., Rusike, J., Mupangwa, W., Ncube, B., Hove, L., Moyo, M., Mashingaidze, N. and Maphosa, P. 2008. Microdosing as a pathway to Africa’s Green Revolution: Evidence from broadscale on-farm trials. Cycl. Agroecosyst., 76: 137-151.
Accepted for publication
- Mashingaidze N., Twomlow, S., Madakadze, I.C., Mupangwa, W. &Mavunganidze, Z. Weed growth and crop yield responses to tillage and mulching under different crop rotation sequences in semiarid conditions. Accepted pending minor revision in Soil Use and Management
- Mavunganidze, Z., Madakadze, C., Nyamangara, J., Mafongoya, P and Mashingaidze, N. Time, weed species composition and density of weed emergence as affected by conservation tillage on three soil types in a smallholder agricultural sector. Accepted pending revision in Weed Research
- Mashingaidze, N., Groot, J.C.J, Termote, C., Yang, R., Raneri, J., Remans, R., and Kennedy, G. 2015. Multifunctional assessment of nutrition-sensitive landscapes. International Conference on Integrated Systems Research: Integrated Systems Research for Sustainable Intensification in Smallholder Agriculture. 3-6 March 2015. Ibadan.
- Timler, C., Michalscheck, M., Klapwijk, C., Mashingaidze, N., Ollenburger, M., Falconnier, G., Kuivanen, K., Descheemaeker, K., Groot, J.C.J., 2015. Exploring options for sustainable intensification in different farming system types of four Africa RISING countries. International Conference on Integrated Systems Research: Integrated Systems Research for Sustainable Intensification in Smallholder Agriculture. 3-6 March 2015. Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Groot, J.C.J. Alvarez, S., Timler, C., Paas, W., Mashingaidze, N, Del Rio, T. et al., System Analysis in Nutrition sensitive landscapes. International Conference on Integrated Systems Research: Integrated Systems Research for Sustainable Intensification in Smallholder Agriculture. 3-6 March 2015. Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Mashingaidze, N.; Nyamangara, J. and Madakadze, I.C. 2011. Weed Growth under Hand-Hoe Based Conservation Agriculture in Smallholder Farmers’ Fields in Zimbabwe. Regional Conservation Agriculture Symposium in Johannesburg 8 – 9 February 2011.
- Mashingaidze, N., Madakadze, I.C and Twomlow, S.2009. Response of weeds and maize to four years of planting basin tillage in semi-arid Zimbabwe. 9th African Crop Science Society Conference in Cape Town 27 September – 1 October 2009.
- Mashingaidze, N., Belder, P. Twomlow, S. and Hove, L. 2007. Put your plants on a nitrogen pill – an alternative microdosing strategy. In: (eds. A. Mapiki&Makgetlaneng) Land and Water Management in southern Africa – Towards better water use in arid and semi-arid areas.” Proceedings of the Second Symposium of the SADC Land & Water Management Applied Research and Training Programme held in Gaborone, Botswana on 20 -22 February 2007. pp 708-719.
Hove, L., Mashingaidze, N., Twomlow S., Nyathi, P., Moyo, M., Mupangwa, W. and Masvaya, E. 2007. Micro Doses, Mega Benefits: Promoting fertiliser use in semi-arid Zimbabwe. A manual for extension staff. International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics, Matopos Research Station. 23 pp.