- 1982 PhD, Regional and Urban Planning, University of London, UK
- 1978 A, Regional and Urban Planning, University of Nottingham, UK
- 1976 A (Hons), Geography/History, University of Leeds, UK
Urban and Rural Planning (Focus on Zimbabwe and Africa Region):
- local development
- urban planning
- physical planning
- local governance
- local economic development
- Wekwete K., deValk, P. (ed.) (1990) 2nd edition in print.Decentralizing for participatory planning: comparing the experiences of Zimbabwe with the other Anglophone countries in Eastern and Southern Africa. Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K., Helmsing, A.H. (ed.) 1991, 2nd edition ( in print). Subnational planning in Eastern and Southern Africa – Approaches, finance and education. Gower Publishing House, Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K., Rambanapasi, C.O. (ed.)1994,2nd editionin print. Planning urban economies in Eastern and Southern Africa..Gower Publishing House, Avebury, Aldershot.
- Vanderschueren, F., Wegelin, E., Wekwete K. 1996. Policy program options for urban poverty reduction: a framework for action at the municipal levels. Urban Management Program Policy Series (20) World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- Wekwete K.H. 2010.The role of civil society in national and local development in Africa in:Cheema G.S., Popovski V.Engaging Civil Society, Emerging trends in democratic governance.United Nations University.
- Wekwete K. H.2007. Decentralization to promote effective and efficient pro-poor infrastructure and service delivery in the least developed countries in: Cheema G. S., Rondinelli D.A. (eds.) Decentralizing Governance – Emerging concepts and practices (242-266).Brookings Institution Press, Washington DC.
- Wekwete K.H. 1992.Urbanization and Environment in Africa in:Stren R., White R., Whitney J. (eds.) Sustainable Cities.(105-140).Westview Press, Boulder, USA.
- Wekwete K.H. 1991.The rural resettlement programme in post-independence Zimbabwe in Mutizwa-Mangiza, N.D., Helmsing, A.H.J. (eds.) Rural development and planning in Zimbabwe.Gower Publishing House, Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H. 1990.Rural urbanization in Zimbabwe: Prospects for the future in: Baker. J. (ed.) Small town Africa – Studies in rural-urban interaction (130-142).The Scandinavian institute of African studies, Uppsala.
- Wekwete, K.H. 1997.Regions, Regional Policy, Planning and Development in Africa: A Perspective of Eastern and Southern Africa in: Helmsing, A.H.J., Guimaraes, J. (eds.) Locality, State and Development: Essays in Honor of Jos G. M Hilhorst.Institute of Social Studies, The Hague.
- Wekwete K.H. 1997.Urban management: the recent experience in: Rakodi, C. (ed.) The urban challenge in Africa: growth and management of its large cities. (527-52). United Nations University Press, Tokyo.
- Wekwete K.H. 1998. Perspectives on planning for change and development of the local government systems in Africa in: Agere, S. (ed.) Zimbabwe post-independence public administration.Codesria, Dakar, Senegal.
- Wekwete K.H. 2000. Urban Management challenges in the Africa region in Stein, C. (ed.)Development and Urban Africa. Proceedings of an International Seminar.
- Wekwete K.H. 1994. Urbanization, urban development in Southern and Eastern Africain: Wekwete KH& Rambanapasi C.O (eds.) Planning Urban Economies in Southern and Eastern Africa (9-31). Gower Publishing House, Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H. 1994. Urbanization, urban development and management in Zimbabwe in Wekwete K.H., Rambanapasi C.O. (eds.)Planning Urban Economies in Southern and Eastern Africa (31-55). Gower Publishing House, Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H., Kinyungu N.A.1994. Financing Urban development in Southern and Eastern Africa in: Wekwete K.H., Rambanapasi C.O. (eds.) Planning Urban Economies in Southern and Eastern Africa.(249 -257).Gower Publishing HouseAvebury,Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H.1990.Constraints to planning for socialism in Zimbabwe in: de Valk.P., Wekwete K.H. Decentralizing for participatory Planning? (37-51).Gower Publishing House Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H. Mlalazi A.1990. Provincial and Regional planning in Zimbabwe: problems and prospects in: de Valk P. Wekwete K.H. (eds.) Decentralizing for participatory planning? (73-85).Gower Publishing House Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H., de Valk P. 1990. Challenges for local governments in Zimbabwe in: de Valk P., Wekwete K.H. (eds) Decentralizing for participatory planning? (86-98).Gower Publishing House Avebury, Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H., Munzwa K.1990. The role of External development agencies in district planning in Zimbabwe: a case study of districts in Masvingo province in: de Valk P. and Wekwete K.H. Decentralizing for participatory planning?Gower Publishing House Avebury,Aldershot.
- Wekwete K.H. 1999.Urban Management challenges in the Africa region in: Stein C. Development and Urban Africa. Centre D’Estudis Africans, Barcelona, Spain.
- Wekwete K. H. 1991. Managing Secondary Cities in Sub Sahara Africa –Traditional and modern institutional arrangements – the case of Masvingo City. UNCHS (Habitat)
- Wekwete K. H. 1989. Growth Center Policy in Zimbabwe. Journal of Economic and Social Geography 80 (3), 131–146.
- Wekwete K.H. 1992.Urban government finance in Zimbabwe:the case of Harare City Council. Journal of Public Administration and Development. vol12(1) (97-110).
- Wekwete K.H. 1989.Physical planning in Zimbabwe: a review of the legal, administrative and operational framework.Third World Planning Review 11(1).
- Wekwete K.H. 1999. Mainstreaming urban Poverty reduction in Sub Sahara Africa.-Regional Development Dialogue, Vol. 20(1).
- Wekwete K.H. 1995. Planning law in Sub-Saharan Africa — A focus on the experiences in Southern and Eastern Africa.Habitat International, Volume 19, Issue 1, (13-28).
- Wekwete K.H. 1988. Rural Growth Points in Zimbabwe: Prospects for the future.-Journal of Social Development in Africa Vol.3 No. 2, (5-16).
- Wekwete K.H. 1988. Development of Urban Planning in Zimbabwe –an overview.-Cities, Issue 1, February 1988, (55 -71).
- Wekwete K.H. 1992. New directions for urban development in rapidly urbanizing countries –the case of Zimbabwe. Habitat International, Vol 16, Issue 2 (53-63).
- Wekwete K.H.1988. The local government system in Zimbabwe – some perspectives on change and development. Planning and Adminstration Vol15, No1,Spring (18-27).
- Wekwete K.H. Decentralized planning in Zimbawe: a review of provincial, urban and district development planning in post-independence Zimbabwe. Journal of International Development Vol 2 no1Jan 1990.
- Wekwete K.H.Legislative challenges for sustainable urban development in Sub Sahara Africa. UN Chronicle 2001.
- Wekwete K.H. Structure for the provision of Rural services in Zimbabwe. IFPRI 1992.
- Wekwete K.H.Rural urbanization in Zimbabwe-prospects for the future. Scandinavian Institute of African studies 1990, No 23 pp130-142.
United Nations Publications – Lead Technical Author
- Empowering the Poor: local Governance for poverty reduction. UNCDF 2003.UN publications, NY.
- Local Government Initiative – pro poor infrastructure and Service Delivery in Rural Sub Sahara Africa –case studies from Uganda, Mali, Senegal and Ethiopia. UNCDF 2004. UN publications, NY.
- Local Government Initiative – pro poor infrastructure and service delivery in rural Asia –case studies from Bangladesh, Nepal, Cambodia and Laos.UNCDF 2004. UN publications, NY.
- Delivering the Goods –Building local government capacity to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. UNCDF 2005. UN Publications, NY.
Community Engagement: Consultancy And Advisory Work
1. April 2015 – Lead facilitator
- National Consultative Workshop on Developmental Local Government in Zimbabwe
- Commonwealth Local Government Forum/Government of Zimbabwe
2. March 2015- Lead Facilitator
- Local Government and Service delivery in Zimbabwe
- Department of Local Governance, Midlands State University
3. March 2015 – Lead Presenter
- Urbanization, Urban Development and Urban Planning in Zimbabwe
- Department of Development Studies, Midlands State University
4. November 2014 – Lead Consultant
- Africa Integrated Regional Program on Local Governance and Local Development – Program Document (2015-2018)
- United Nations Development Program (Headquarters/Africa); Africa Union.
5. February 2014 – Lead Consultant
- Local Government and Local Economic Development in SADC –Report and policy paper prepared for Regional Workshop in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Commonwealth Local Government Forum
6. October/November 2013 –Lead Consultant
- Strengthening Decentralization and Devolution in Kenya – a program for capacity building
7. Program document 2014-2017
- United Nations Development Program, Nairobi, Kenya