- Makanga P. T (Upcoming 2019) Practicing health geography: The African context. To be published as part of Springer’s forthcoming series on ‘Global perspectives on health geography’ (http://www.springer.com/series/15801)
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Makacha, L., Makanga, P. T., Dube, Y. P., Bone, J., Munguambe, K., Katageri, G., … Von Dadelszen, P. (2020). Is the closest health facility the one used in pregnancy care-seeking? A cross-sectional comparative analysis of self-reported and modelled geographical access to maternal care in Mozambique, India and Pakistan. International Journal of Health Geographics, 19(1), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12942-020-0197-5
- Dube, Y. P., Ruktanonchai, C. W., Sacoor, C., Tatem, A. J., Munguambe, K., Boene, H., … Makanga, P. T. (2019). How accurate are modelled birth and pregnancy estimates? Comparison of four models using high resolution maternal health census data in southern Mozambique. BMJ Global Health, 4(Lmic), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2018-000894
- Makanga PT, Sacoor C, Schuurman N On behalf of the CLIP Working Group, et al. Place-specific factors associated with adverse maternal and perinatal outcomes in Southern Mozambique: a retrospective cohort study. BMJ Open 2019;9:e024042. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-024042
- Sacoor, C., Payne, B., Augusto, O., Vilanculo, F., Nhacolo, A., Vidler, M., Makanga, P. T., … the CLIP Working Group. (2018). Health and socio-demographic profile of women of reproductive age in rural communities of southern Mozambique. PLOS ONE, 13(2), e0184249. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0184249
- Firoz, T., Makanga, P. T., Nathan, H. L., Payne, B., & Magee, L. A. (2017). Reverse innovation in maternal health. Obstetric Medicine, 1753495X17700515.
- Makanga, P. T., Schuurman, N., Sacoor, C., Boene, H. E., Vilanculo, F., Vidler, M., … Firoz, T. (2017). Seasonal variation in geographical access to maternal health services in regions of southern Mozambique. International Journal of Health Geographics, 16(1), 1.
- Molla, Y. B., Rawlins, B., Makanga, P. T., Cunningham, M., Ávila, J. E. H., Ruktanonchai, C. W., … Matthews, Z. (2017). Geographic information system for improving maternal and newborn health: recommendations for policy and programs. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 17(1), 26.
- Firoz, T., Vidler, M., Makanga, P. T., Boene, H., Chiaú, R., Sevene, E., … Munguambe, K. (2016). Community perspectives on the determinants of maternal health in rural southern Mozambique: a qualitative study. Reproductive Health, 13(2), 123–131.
- Makanga, P. T., Schuurman, N., Sacoor, C., Boene, H., von Dadelszen, P., & Firoz, T. (2016). Guidelines for creating framework data for GIS analysis in low- and middle-income countries. The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe Canadien, 60(3), 320–332.
- Makanga, P. T., Schuurman, N., von Dadelszen, P., & Firoz, T. (2016). A scoping review of geographic information systems in maternal health. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 134(1), 13–17
- Munguambe, K., Boene, H., Vidler, M., Bique, C., Sawchuck, D., Firoz, T., Makanga PT.,… Sevene, E. (2016). Barriers and facilitators to health care seeking behaviours in pregnancy in rural communities of southern Mozambique. Reproductive Health, 13(1), 83–97.
- Makanga PT, Schuurman N & Randall E. (2015). Community perceptions of risk for interpersonal violence in Cape Town South Africa: A focus group study. Global Public Health, 1-15.
- Brown-Luthango M, Makanga P & Smit J. (2013). Towards effective city planning—The case of Cape Town in identifying potential housing land.” Urban Forum 23:15.
- Govender, I., Matzopoulos, R., Makanga, P. & Corrigal, J. (2012). Piloting a trauma surveillance tool for primary healthcare emergency centers. South African Medical Journal, 102, 4.
- Makanga, P. & Smit, J. (2010). A review of the status of spatial data infrastructure implementation in Africa. South African Computer Journal, 45, 18 – 25.
Makanga PT 2017. Seasonal variation in geographical access to maternal health services in regions of southern Mozambique. Strengthening Space Cooperation for Global Health – A joint conference of the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), World Health Organization (WHO) and Government of Switzerland – with support from the European Space Agency (ESA) at the WHO Headquarters Geneva, Switzerland
Makanga PT 2017. The potential of Geographical Information Systems in improving global maternal and child health as part of the sustainable development goal 3, MNCH Tech – a Workshop on Technology for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, Stellenbosch South Africa
Makanga, PT 2016. The place of geographic thought in global health, Geography department, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
Makanga, PT 2015. Mapping adverse maternal outcomes and associated determinants in Gaza and Maputo provinces, Mozambique. United States Agency for International Development (USAID) technical consultation on mapping and reporting maternal deaths, Washington DC, USA
Makanga, P. & Smit, J. 2011. Spatial Data Infrastructure implementation in Africa. AfricaGEO conference. Cape Town, South Africa.
Makanga, P. 2007. Spatial technologies for tourism. Zimbabwe international travel expo, Harare, Zimbabwe.
Makanga, P. 2007. Geographical Information Systems for sustainable development. Survey Institute of Zimbabwe annual conference, Masvingo, Zimbabwe.