The Department of Counselling Services is available to help address personal, emotional and psychosocial challenges that get in one’s way during academic experience at Midlands State University. Thus assisting clients realise attainment of their academic and personal goals. Services are available at individual or group level through diverse facilities. Counsellors work in collaboration with other specialized counselling systems such as Chaplaincy, Health Services and Academic Departments. There are also several teaching and non teaching voluntary counsellors. So help is all around you. Talk to someone you trust. Get connected to a helpful system.
During the semester services are available Monday to Thursday (0800 – 1645 hours) and Friday (0800 – 1615 hours) for face to face counselling. You can also talk to us on e-counselling platform a link available in your e-learning account.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- All Midlands State University students are eligible for counselling at no extra cost.
- Participation is entirely voluntary by consent
- Counselling is confidential
- Clients for face to face counselling are received on a walk in basis and or by appointment through the Division of Student Affairs front office
- Counselling is also available online using e-learning account link.
To be a stakeholder driven department that adds value to quality of life
To provide professional counselling interventions and support the effective work and study of individuals and groups to make informed growth choices along the lifespan development towards self actualization
Guided by the values of respect for human dignity, responsibility, accountability, empathy, honesty, sincerity, social justice and commitment to positively influence change in harmful practices
OTHER AVAILABLE SERVICES
Faculty Volunteer Counsellors
Each Faculty has a Volunteer Counsellor whose details are available with Faculty Administrator. In the event that you need individual or group counselling, you may consult your Faculty Administrator and or your Faculty Secretary
Faculty and Departmental Focal Persons
These are individuals that have volunteered their services within the Faculties and Departments with a goal of enhancing counselling services. Details of such persons can be accessed through your Faculty office Administrator or Secretary.
For spiritual issues, feel free to consult the University Chaplain
Health Services Department
During the semester, Health Services/Clinic is open for 24 hours. You are free to consult them
The Department has trained student peer helpers within the student body.
- Crisis and preventive counselling interventions
- Ongoing psychosocial supportive counselling
- Peer counselling/natural helping skills training for interested groups
- Diverse outside classroom learning opportunities such as HIV/AIDS : life skills, gender dynamics, sexual and reproductive health issues and stress management
- Creating synergies with other systems such as academic departments
COMMON CHALLENGES FACED BY CLIENTS/STUDENTS
- Anxieties about aspects of academic issues and problems often complicated by underlying socio-economic challenges and family conflict
- The toll or aftermath of painful experiences such as death in a family unresolved /unfinished bereavement issues, lost valuable spousal relations, lost academic credits
- Corrosive fear of letting family down, and
- Suicidal thoughts
Midlands State University
Tel +263542 260404 Ext 2394/2455