Director: Prof A S Chiromo
Welcome to the Centre for Quality Assurance, Teaching and Learning and Performance Contracting. Quality assurance in higher education has become a real concern for all educational authorities in almost all countries. All over the world there is an increasing interest in quality and standards, reflecting both the rapid growth of higher education and its cost to the public and the private purse.
The Centre aims at developing the university’s capabilities in the area of Quality Assurance in order to maintain, improve and enhance quality in all areas of institutional operations at different levels. The Quality Assurance Office plays a key role in the development, monitoring and reporting of quality across the university. The Centre also focuses on performance contracting (PC). PC is a method to track performance and safe guarding goals to ensure that the country and university aspirations are not lost through the crevices. PC specifies the mutual performance obligations, intentions and responsibilities of the two parties. PC is one element of the broader public sector reforms aimed at improving efficiency and effectiveness, while reducing total costs. PC is also a way to harmonize performance so that everyone is aware of the part they are playing or should play in the success of the university.
Mandate of the Quality Assurance
The Director of the Centre for Quality Assurance, Teaching and Learning and Performance Contracting shall be responsible to the Vice Chancellor on quality assurance and teaching/learning issues by:
- fostering a culture of quality in the university
- ensuring that each unit in the University (including associate and affiliate colleges) has set standards and benchmarks that must be maintained and enhanced.
- monitoring, evaluating and ensuring implementation of recommended quality assurance processes in the university.
- ensuring compliance with standards/benchmarks set by ZIMCHE
- coordinating the induction of new members of teaching staff
- empowering teaching staff with the most effective methods of teaching and learning through regular engagements.