PERFORMANCE CONTRACTING AND COMPLIANCE DEPARTMENT
Welcome to the Performance Contracting and Compliance (PCC) Department. Performance Contracting is a strategy that tracks staff performance and ensures goals are met to make sure the University’s objectives are not lost. It helps keep the institution on track to achieve its targets. The PC specifies the mutual performance obligations, intentions and responsibilities of the two parties, the Appraiser and the Appraisee wherein the Appraiser is the Head of Department and the Appraisee is the employee. The PC pillar is one element of the broader public sector reforms aimed at improving efficiency and effectiveness, while reducing total costs. PC is also a way to harmonize performance so that everyone is aware of the part they are playing or should play in the success of the University. PCC Department is also responsible to ensuring that individuals, units, departments and faculties comply with performance standards and targets as set by the University including adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Objectives of the Performance Contracting and Compliance Department
Specifically, the MSU Performance Contracting and Compliance Department aims to provide a framework for an effective and efficient performance management system through:
- Institutionalizing performance-oriented culture in the University through introduction of an objective performance measurement system;
- Improved performance to deliver quality and timely services to the University;
- Enhanced accountability in the University as it defines who does what, when and how;
- Enhanced efficiency in service delivery as the University sets higher targets every contract period;
- Improved University operations by achieving set targets;
- Helping to expediently implement the University Strategic and Annual plan;
- Ensuring that resources are focused on attainment of key national policy priorities of the government;
- Instituting intense monitoring and evaluation systems hence ensuring proper coordination of projects for achievement of the set targets;
- Measuring and evaluating performance;
- Linking reward to measurable performance; and
- Facilitating the attainment of desired results by ensuring that individuals, units, departments and Faculties comply with performance standards and targets as set by the university including adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
Key activities of the Performance Contracting and Compliance Department
- The Department is responsible for providing support and coordination on the performance contracting process.
- Developing and updating the annual appraisal process and guidelines and coordinating the appraisal process across functions and campuses.
- Assisting in setting objectives and conducting performance appraisals and bi-annual reviews for staff members for the whole University.
- Carrying out the performance contracting cycle process from start to end and monitoring timely and accurate completion of the appraisals (e.g., forms and templates, communications).
- Providing measurement standards, targets and key performance indicators (KPIs) to the management team with respect to the performance contracting process, including both formal and informal performance appraisals guided by the Annual Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Ensuring that individuals, units, departments and Faculties comply with performance standards and targets as set by the university including adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Reviewing, monitoring, analyzing and evaluating performance results University-wide and produce reports accordingly.
- Contributing expertise to the development and delivery of performance contracting training manuals, policies and procedures.
- Keeping abreast of developments in the University by monitoring programs and identifying areas for improvement; by observing and implementing University and system-wide policies and procedures.
Director-Performance Contracting and Compliance
Mr. Danmore Mapuranga- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer
Mr. J. Gono – Performance Contracting and Compliance Officer
Mrs. Elizabeth Munyanyi –Chief Secretary