To be a leading, one-stop, innovative, inclusive and technologically-driven world class language consultancy and support services centre dedicated to the development, modernisation and internationalisation of Zimbabwe for the empowerment of society and wealth creation.
Pursuant to its vision, MSULI is committed to providing language consultancy and support services to its valued diverse clients locally, regionally and internationally, fully utilising highly qualified personnel, advanced technology and strategic partnerships.
Hard work – committed to results
Teamwork – collaborating with others
Professionalism – adhering to set standards
Inclusivity – embracing diversity
Ubuntu/ Hunhu – being humble
Language is Life
To be a leading key player in the promotion of indigenous languages including braille services to meet the linguistic and cultural needs of societal members and the nation’s developmental aspirations. The Institute endeavours to provide a wide range of quality language services which include, among others; translation and interpretation services, dictionary making, document proof reading, thesis and dissertation editing, development of orthographies for indigenous languages, language policy and planning, language research and publications.
Highly qualified native speakers of the different indigenous languages work at the Institute as Director, Administrator, Language Assistants and Language Research Fellows. These members of staff have a wide range of roles and responsibilities. These include functions and roles such as those of researchers, advisors, teaching assistants, technicians, counsellors, software developers, events managers to mention only a few. The members of the Institute are able to multi-task and provide services to needy clients, Departments and Faculties.
LANGUAGES ON OFFER
- Sign Language
Language Consultancy Services
- Document proof reading and editing services to the general public, including all postgraduate dissertations and theses from MSU and other universities in the country and region
- Translation services involving all important government documents and books
- Interpreting services to tourists and organisations
- Transcription services
- Speech writing and report writing training services
- Braille services for schools, colleges and universities
- Sign language services for the nation.
Research and Publications
- DPhil and MPhil Dissertation Supervision
- Hosting international language researchers
- Language Research Assistant services
Promotion and Development of Indigenous Languages
- Promoting the growth of indigenous literature by organising creative writing competitions for marginalised languages and supporting book publications in indigenous languages
- Book reviews
- Developing orthographies for all the previously marginalised indigenous languages in Zimbabwe.
- Lexicography research (dictionary making) in all official indigenous languages.
- Intensive research in language, culture and literature
Language Policy and Planning
- Promote and support the establishment of a National Language Board for Zimbabwe
- Promote and support the establishment of Indigenous Languages Associations
- Spearhead the development of a national language policy and a language in education policy for Zimbabwe
Telephone: +263 54 231583
Fax: +263 54 260233/260311
Mobile: +263 77 288 3047 / +263 71 680 0586