Language for national development.
Empowerment of languages to ensure that no one is left behind in socio-economic and scientific advancement of the nation.
To be a leading, one-stop, innovative, inclusive and technologically driven world class language research, consultancy and techno-scientific services centre dedicated to the development, modernisation and internationalisation of Zimbabwe for the empowerment of society and wealth creation.
Pursuant to its vision, MSUNLI is committed to conducting language research and offering techno- scientific services to its diverse stakeholders, locally, regionally and internationally.
- Hard work
Highly qualified native speakers of the different indigenous languages work at the Institute as language researchers. The language researchers cover a wide range of roles and responsibilities. These include functions and roles such as those of researchers, advisors, teaching assistants, technicians, counsellors, software developers and events managers among other duties.
LANGUAGES ON OFFER
- Sign Language
Language Consultancy Services
- Document proof reading and editing.
- Translation services.
- Interpreting services.
- Transcription services.
- Speech writing and report writing training services.
- Braille services for schools, colleges and universities.
- Sign language services for the nation.
Research and Publications
- DPhil and MPhil Dissertation Supervision.
- Hosting international language research conferences.
- Language research.
- Book reviews
Promotion and Development of Indigenous Languages
- Promoting the growth of indigenous literature by organising creative writing competitions for marginalized languages and support book publications in indigenous languages.
- Developing orthographies for the previously marginalised indigenous languages of Zimbabwe.
- Lexicography research in all officially recognised indigenous languages.
- Intensive research in language, culture and literature.
Language Policy and Planning
- Promoting and supporting the establishment of a National Language Board for Zimbabwe.
- Promoting and supporting the establishment of Indigenous Languages Associations.
- Spearheading the development of a national language policy and a language in education policy for Zimbabwe.
Telephone: +263 54 231583
Fax: +263 54 260233/260311
Mobile: +263 77 288 3047 / +263 71 680 0586