Prof Upenyu Guyo
Position: Associate Professor
Department: Chemical SciencesShare Profile Search on Google Scholar
- Philosophiae Doctor Chemistry (NMMU, RSA)
- MSc Analytical Chemistry, (UZ,)
- BSc Hons Chemical Technology (MSU)
- Cert. Data Analysis for Scientists and Chemical Engineers (NMMU)
- Cert. Theory of Sampling, InnoVenton (SA)
- Postgrad. Dip. Tertiary Education (MSU)
- Water treatment
- Applied synthetic organic chemistry
- Process development
- Continuous flow processing
- Polymer synthesis
- Guyo, U., Hlangothi, B.G. & Zeelie, B. Synthesis of novel methoxy ether derivative of isopulegol in a packed-bed flow reactor. Monatsh Chem(2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00706-021-02778-8
- Netai Mukaratirwa-Muchanyereyi, Washington Tigere, Nicodimus Hokonya, Cecilia Gusha, Upenyu Guyo, Stephen Nyoni (2020), Preparation and performance characterization of ceramic/silver nanoparticle composition in water purification, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, vol 17, issue 3, 1522-1530.
- Cloudius R. Sagandira, Francis M. Mathe, Upenyu Guyo, Paul Watts (2020), The evolution of Tamiflu synthesis, 20 years on: Advent of enabling technologies, the last piece of the puzzle? Tetrahedron, Vol. 76, Issue 37
- Megnolia Chaduka, Upenyu Guyo, Ngceboyakwethu P. Zinyama, Piwai Tshuma & Leah C. Matsinha (2020) Modeling and Optimization of Lead (II) Adsorption by a Novel Peanut Hull-g-Methyl Methacrylate Biopolymer Using Response Surface Methodology (RSM), Analytical Letters, 53:8, 1294-1311, DOI: 1080/00032719.2019.1702993
- Chaduka, M., Guyo, U., & Zinyama, N. P. (2019). Effect of aluminum triflate on Cd(II) recovery by peanut hull-g-methyl methacrylate: optimization and modeling using a response surface methodology. International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 1–14. doi:10.1080/03067319.2019.1679803
- Sithulisiwe Ngwenya, Upenyu Guyo, Ngceboyakwethu Primrose. Zinyama, Fidelis Chigondo, Benias Chomunorwa Nyamunda, Netai Muchanyereyi (2019) Response surface methodology for optimization of Cd(II) adsorption from wastewaters by fabricated tartaric acid-maize tassel magnetic hybrid sorbent, Biointerface research in applied Chemistry.
- Menala Kalumpha, UpenyuGuyo, Ngceboyakwethu P. Zinyama, Felistus Muhle Vakirai, Benias C. Nyamunda (2019)Adsorptive potential of Zea Mays tassel activated carbon towards the removal of metformin hydrochloride from pharmaceutical effluent, International Journal of Phytoremediation, https://doi.org/10.1080/15226514.2019.1652561
- Upenyu Guyo, Daniel P. Otto, Desmond A. Young, Hermanus C.M. Vosloo. (2019) Aluminum triflate-co-catalyzed radical copolymerization of styrene and ethyl acrylate, Polymer Bulletin, DOI: 10.1007/s00289-019-02847-3
- Benias Nyamunda, Terrence Chivhanga, Upenyu Guyo and Fidelis Chigondo, (2019) Removal of Zn (II) and Cu (II) ions from industrial wastewaters using magnetic biochar derived from water hyacinth, Journal of Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/5656983
- Prosper Chikwanda, Tawanda Mugadza, Upenyu Guyo, (2017) Enhanced sorption of aqueous cadmium (II) ions on phenylalanine modified activated carbon, 10.4108/eai.20-6-2017.2270775.
- Upenyu Guyo, Lycenter P. Yard, Fidelis Chigondo, (2017) Application of Central Composite Design in the Adsorption of Ca(II) on Metakaolin Zeolite, Journal of Chemistry, 2017. DOI 1155/2017/7025073
- Takunda Muzvidziwa, Mambo Moyo, Jonathan O. Okonkwo, Munyaradzi Shumba, Tichaona Nharingo & Upenyu Guyo (2017) Electrodeposition of zinc oxide nanoparticles on multiwalled carbon nanotube-modified electrode for determination of caffeine in wastewater effluent, International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 97:7,623-636, DOI: 1080/03067319.2017.1337898.
- Upenyu Guyo, Nyasha Matewere, Kaina Matina, Benias C. Nyamunda& Mambo Moyo(2017)Preparation of poly(methyl methacrylate)–grafted Hyparrheniahirta for methyl red removal from colored solutions, Bioremediation Journal,21:3-4,163-175, DOI: 1080/10889868.2017.1337710
- Upenyu Guyo, Nyasha Matewere, Kaina Matina, Tichaona Nharingo, Mambo Moyo, (2017) Fabrication of a sustainable maize stover-graft-methyl methacrylate biopolymer for remediation of methyl red contaminated wasters, Sustainable Materials, and Technologies. 13: 9-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.susmat.2017.05.001.
- Vivian Jonasi, Kaina Matina, Upenyu Guyo. (2017) Removal of Pb(II) and Cd(II) from aqueous solution using alkaline-modified pumice stones powder (PSP): Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies- Turkish Journal of Chemistry, 41(5):748-759. DOI: 10.3906/kim-1701-40.
- Upenyu Guyo, Mambo Moyo (2017) Cowpea pods (Vigna Unguiculata) biomass as a low-cost biosorbent for the removal of Pb(II) ions from aqueous solution, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 189(2): 1 – 13. DOI:10.1007/s10661-016-5728-y
- Tawanda Mugadza, Pamela Moyo, Gift Mehlana and Upenyu Guyo, (2016) Synthesis and characterization of activated carbon–ethylenediamine–cobalt(II) tetracarboxyphthalocyanine conjugate for catalytic oxidation of ascorbic acid, Research on Chemical Intermediates. 42(8): 6511 – 6529. DOI:10.1007/s11164-016-2477-z
- Upenyu Guyo, Kudakwashe Sibanda, Edith Sebata, Fidelis Chigondo, Mambo Moyo, (2016) Removal of Nickel(II) from aqueous solution by Vigna unguiculata (Cowpea) pods biomass as a low-cost biosorbent, Science Water and Technology, 73 (10): 2301-2310. doi_org/10.2166/wst.2016.012
- Upenyu Guyo, Tafadzwa Makawa, Mambo Moyo, Tichaona Nharingo, Benias C. Nyamunda, and Tawanda Mugadza, (2015) Application of response surface methodology for Cd(II) adsorption on maize tassel- magnetite nanohybrid adsorbent, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 3(4): 2472-2483.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2015.09.006.
- Tichaona Mukoko, Matthew Mupa, Upenyu Guyo, Farai Dziike (2015) Preparation of Rice Hull Activated Carbon for the Removal of Selected Pharmaceutical Waste Compounds in Hospital Effluent. J Environ Anal Toxicol S7:008. doi:10.4172/2161-0525.S7-008
- Mambo Moyo, Sikwila Thokozani Lindiwe, Edith Sebata, Benias Chomunorwa Nyamunda, and Upenyu Guyo, (2015) Equilibrium, kinetic, and thermodynamic studies on biosorption of Cd(II) from aqueous solution by biochar, Research on Chemical Intermediates. 42(2): 1349 – 1362. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11164-015-2089-z.
- Tichaona Nharingo, Martin T. Zivurawa, and Upenyu Guyo, (2015) Exploring the use of cactus Opuntia ficus indica in the biocoagulation–flocculation of Pb(II) ions from wastewaters, International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology12(12): DOI: 3791 – 3802. 10.1007/s13762-015-0815-0
- Mambo Moyo, Upenyu Guyo, Grace Mawenyiyo, Ngceboyakwethu P. Zinyama, and Benias C. Nyamunda, (2015) Marula seed husk (SclerocaryaBirrea) biomass as a low-cost biosorbent for removal of Pb(II) and Cu(II) from aqueous solution, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 27: 126-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2014.12.026
- Upenyu Guyo, Joyleen Mhonyera, and Mambo Moyo, (2015) Pb(II) adsorption from aqueous solutions by raw and treated biomass of maize stover- A comparative study, Process Safety, and Environment Protection, 93:192-200.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2014.06.009
- Mambo Moyo, George Nyamhere, Edith Sebata, and Upenyu Guyo, (2014) Kinetic and equilibrium modeling of lead sorption from aqueous solution by activated carbon from goat dung, Desalination, and Water Treatment, 57:2,765-775, DOI: 1080/19443994.2014.968217
- Sebata Edith, Nyamunda Benias Chomunorwa, Guyo Upenyu, Moyo Mambo, and Zinyama Ngceboyakwethu Primrose (2014), Removal of aqueous natural organic pollutants using mixed mining solid wastes: coal fly ash and iron sludge, International Journal of Scientific Research in Environmental Sciences, 2(6), 220-227. http://dx.doi.org/10.12983/ijsres-2014-p0220-0227
- Mambo Moyo, Linda Chikazaza, Benias Chamunorwa Nyamunda, and Upenyu Guyo (2013) Adsorption Batch Studies on the Removal of Pb(II) using Maize Tassel based Activated Carbon, J Chem. 2013. DOI 1155/2013/508934
- U. Guyo, B. Hlangothi, B. Zeelie “Synthesis of isopulegol methoxy ether derivative using an acid resin catalyst, amberlyst-15”, Frank Warren International Conference, Bloemfontein, April 15-18 2012.
- Upenyu Guyo, Joylene Mhonyera, Mambo Moyo, Pb(II) adsorption from aqueous solutions by raw and treated biomass of maize stover-A comparative study, 5th International IUPAC Conference on Green Chemistry, Durban, August 17 – 21, 2014.
- Upenyu Guyo, Daniel P. Otto and Desmond A. Young, Radical copolymerization of styrene and ethyl acrylate using aluminum triflate as a cocatalyst, Catsa Conference, Johannesburg, South Africa October 2014.
- Upenyu Guyo, The use of selected agro-based biomass waste for remediation of wastewaters, 6th International IUPAC Conference on Green Chemistry, Venice, Italy, 4-8 September 2016.
- Prosper Chikwanda, Tawanda Mugadza, Upenyu Guyo, Enhanced sorption of aqueous cadmium (II) ions on phenylalanine modified activated carbon- Acrid conference 2017, Victoria Falls, 21-22 June 2017
- Megnolia Chaduka, Ngceboyakwethu Zinyama, Upenyu Guyo, Desmond Young, Fabrication of peanut hulls-methylmethacrylate biopolymer through radical copolymerisation for Pb(II) removal from wastewaters, 8th International IUPAC Conference on Green Chemistry, Bangkok, Thailand, 9-14 September 2018.
- SARIMA Conference, Johannesburg, South Africa, 29 May – 01 June 2018
Suggest a correction
If you'd like to suggest a correction for this profile and you are the owner use the edit button button below. For corrections to another person's profile contact the Webmaster on the email email@example.com or call ext 2132Edit Profile