- PhD Biochem & Molecular Cell Bio (Monash)
- MSc Biotech App Biochem (UWC)
- BSc (Hons) Biochem (UZ)
- Mechanistic modulation of a bifunctional GC-linked receptor kinase.
- Structural characterization of the interaction between RBBP6 and the multifunctional oncoprotein YB-1.
- Screening of natural products as inhibitors of Glutathione S-transferase from Anopheles Gambiae.
- My current research interest is mainly in molecular cell signalling and protein biochemistry. More specifically, I am interested in how protein structure and function influence cell signalling pathways. Using biochemical assays and biophysical techniques, I explore how different regulatory factors influence protein-mediated cell signalling processes.+
Publications & Conference Presentations
- Muleya V., Marondedze C., Wheeler J. I., Thomas L., Mok Y.F., Griffin M. D., Manallack D. T., Kwezi L., Lilley K.S., Gehring C., Irving H.R. (2016) Phosphorylation of the dimeric cytoplasmic domain of the phytosulfokine receptor, PSKR1. Biochemistry Journal, 473(19): 3081-98.
- Victor Muleya and Helen R. Irving (2016) Delineating a new class of membrane-bound guanylate cyclases, Springer Science Reviews, 4: 1.
- Victor Muleya, Janet I. Wheeler, Oziniel Ruzvidzo, Lubna Freihat, David T. Manallack, Chris Gehring and Helen R Irving (2014) Calcium is the switch in the moonlighting dual function of the ligand-activated receptor kinase phytosulfokine receptor 1, Cell Communication and Signaling, 12:60.
- Lubna Freihat, Victor Muleya, David Manallack, Janet I. Wheeler, Helen R. Irving (2014) Comparison of moonlighting guanylate cyclases – roles in signal direction?, Biochemical Society Transactions, 42:6, 1773-9.
- Victor Muleya, Janet Wheeler, and Helen Irving (2013) Structural and Functional Characterization of Receptor Kinases with Nucleotide Cyclase Activity; Methods in Molecular Biology; 1016: 175-94.
- Yu-Hua Wang, Victor Muleya, and Helen Irving (2013) Application of Recombinant Technology in Protein Investigations; Basic Methods in Protein Purification and Analysis. iConcept Press. ISBN: 978-14775550-5-7.
- Mautin A. Kappo, Eiso AB, Faqeer Hassem, Robert Andrew Atkinson, Andrew Faro, Victor Muleya, Takalani Mulaudzi, John O. Poole, Jean M. McKenzie, Moredreck Chibi, Johanna C. Moolman-Smook, David J. G. Rees and David J. R. Pugh (2012) Solution Structure of the RING Finger-like Domain of Retinoblastoma Binding Protein-6 (RBBP6) Suggests it Functions as a U-Box, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287:10, 7146 – 7158.
- Victor Muleya, Rose Hayeshi, Hilary Ranson, Berhanu Abegaz, Merha-Tibeb Bezabih, Metuno Robert, Boneventure T. Ngadjui, Francois Ngandeu and Stanley Mukanganyama (2008) Modulation of Anopheles gambiae Epsilon glutathione S-transferase activity by plant natural products in vitro, Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, 23:3, 391 — 399.
- Wheeler J.I, Kwezi L., Ruzvidzo O., Muleya V., Gehring C. and Irving H. PSKR1 is a dual enzyme whose guanylate cyclase activity is calcium dependent. Poster / abstract Proceedings of the Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 43: POS-MON-091, 2011
- Muleya V., Wheeler J.I., Kwezi L., Ruzvidzo O., Gehring C. and Irving H.R. Calcium enhances the guanylate cyclase activity of the moonlighting enzyme PSKR1 but inhibits kinase activity in vitro. Poster / abstract Proceedings of the Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 44: POS-TUE-050
- Muleya V., Wheeler J.I., Ruzvidzo O., Kwezi L., Marondedze C., Thomas L., Gehring C. and Irving H.R. Mechanistic modulation of a bifunctional GC-linked receptor kinase, PSKR1. Poster / abstract Proceedings of the Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 44: POS-TUE-060
- Wheeler J.I., Muleya V., Chowdhury H. and Irving H.R. Accumulating evidence suggests the moonlighting guanylate cyclase PSKR1 acts as a homodimer. Oral / abstract Proceedings of the Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 44: COL-06-01, 2012
- Wheeler JI, Muleya V., Mok YF, Griffin M, Chowdhury H, Irving HR The moonlighting receptor guanylate cyclase PSKR1 acts as a homo dimer. Poster / Abstract Poster S9P7, Plant Membrane Biology 16th International Workshop, Kurashiki Japan 2013
- Irving HR, Muleya V., Wheeler JI, Freihat L, Thomas L, Thomas L, Marondedze C, Ruzvidzo O, Kwezi L, Gehring C, Manallack D, Calcium is the molecular switch regulating the dual kinase and guanylate cyclase activities of the phytosulfokine receptor 1 (PSKR1) Poster / Abstract Poster S9P8, Plant Membrane Biology 16th International Workshop, Kurashiki Japan 2013
- Muleya V., Wheeler J.I., Freihat L., Thomas L., Marondedze C., Manallack D.T., Ruzvidzo O., Kwezi L., Gehring C. and Irving H.R. Calcium is the molecular switch shifting the phytosulfokine receptor 1 (PSKR1) from kinase to guanylate cyclase activity. Oral/abstract Workshop 05-04, 24th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research (ICAR 2013), Sydney Convention Centre, Australia, 24-28 June 2013
- Wheeler, J.I., Muleya, V., Mok, Y.-F., Griffin, M., Chowdhury H. and Irving, H.R. PSKR1 is a moonlighting receptor guanylate cyclase that acts as a homo dimmer. Poster/abstract POS-WED-310, 24th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research (ICAR 2013), Sydney Convention Centre, Australia, 24-28 June 2013
Relevant International Certificates, etc
- Intellectual Property (IP) Management (DNAbiotech).
- Quality Control systems for testing and diagnostic labs (ISO 17025) – South African National Accreditation System (SANAS).
- Monash Postgraduate Publication award, February 2015, Monash University, Melbourne Australia.
- ComBio International conference, September 2011, Proceedings of the Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Cairns, Queensland, Australia – Student Poster prize (first prize).
- 10th AstraZeneca Research Open day – Highly Commended Award for Best Oral Presentation (Basic Science), February 2010 (University of Stellenbosch, South Africa).
- Awarded a grant holder-linked bursary, National Research Foundation (NRF), South Africa (2008-2010).
- Awarded a book prize for academic excellence, August 2006 (University of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe).
Current Community Engagement