The Department of Animal and Wildlife Sciences seeks to promote the productive and sustainable management of livestock and wildlife resources and in so doing contribute towards sustainable food security, self-reliance and overall well being of the entire Zimbabwean population and SADC region. The department will seek to achieve its aims through:
- A curriculum and academic culture that provide for sound theoretical and hands-on animal and wildlife management.
- Equipping students with competitive and relevant knowledge and work-related skills.
- Aggressive research and outreach programmes in the utilization and management of the livestock, wildlife and natural resources.
- Tailor-making the curriculum to enable the graduates to successfully tackle the problems in both rural and commercial sectors.
- Preparing the graduates for a diversity of careers.
- Creating awareness and understanding that the holistic or integrated approach to problem solving brings sustainable solutions.
- Working closely with other stakeholders in the field of teaching, research and extension in animal and wildlife management.