The mission of the Peace and Security Studies Department is to pursue academic excellence through nurturing competitive, professional students who prioritise peacebuilding and stability of the country and beyond through quality teaching and research.
About the Department
The Department of Peace and Security Studies Studies offers an undergraduate degree that empowers students to have a critical understanding and analysis of root causes of conflicts and violence in diverse local, national, global and societal contexts. The department focuses on crucial issues and strategies that are interactive and include conflict -prevention, human security, human rights, environmental security, and post-conflict rehabilitation to build a peaceful prosperous world. The Department does this through working and creating synergies and collaborations with state and non-state organisations.
POST GRADUATE PROGRAMS
- Masters of Science in Peace, Security and Development
- Masters of Science in Peace and Gender Studies
- Post graduate Diploma in Peace keeping and Conflict Resolution
- Bachelor of Science Honours degree in Peace and Security Studies
- Bachelor of Science Honours degree in Peace, Leadership and Governance
The Department draws expertise from the highly qualified lecturers and peace practitioners locally, regionally and beyond. Students are involved in various peace initiatives within the university, local, national and international communities through, conferences public lectures, training workshops, internship.
On graduating our students will have the following professional competencies:
- National and local government
- Global governance institutions
- Research institutes
- International, national and local development agencies
- Environmental advocacy and policy work
- Private sector strategy and governance for sustainability
Midlands State University
Phone Main Lines 263-54-2260331, 2260416, 2260417,
Fax Fax: +26354 2260233